Tuesday 26 April 2011

Book Review: You Against Me by Jenny Dowham

Jenny Downham's first novel, 'Before I Die', set a new benchmark in my opinion, but her second novel, 'You Against Me', has just raised that benchmark!

Although written for the young adult market 'You Against Me' is an excellent read for any age whether you are 16 or 60. This book is brilliantly written. Her characters are well defined and the pages of the book just seem to leap into life.

The book is ultimately about the choice between loyalty and love which is reminiscent of the Romeo & Juliet theme. Mikey comes from a poor housing estate, his sister was raped. Ellie comes from a well off family, her brother is accused of rape. So when Mikey and Ellie meet and develop feelings for each other they are torn between staying loyal to their families and their love for each other.

As a reader I had no idea what was going to happen next which kept me hooked the whole way through. The reader is kept guessing throughout the book as to the outcome, not only of Mikey and Ellie's relationship, but ultimately whether Mikey's sister is lying about the rape or whether Ellie's brother isn't innocent as claims.

Intriguing, thrilling and downright addictive are the perfect words I would use to describe this book. It is certainly one of the best books that I have read recently and I would recommend it to everyone. Buy it now, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

If you haven't read either of Jenny Downham's books yet then get on to it, you are missing out!

No comments:

Post a Comment