Tuesday 26 April 2011

Book Review: Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Jenny Downham's first book, 'Before I Die', aimed at the young adult market, has just set the
benchmark for outstanding literature today!

What a rollercoaster of emotions! I found myself clinging on for dear life one moment and then
throwing my arms in the air and enjoying the ride the next minute.

As a reader I felt everything that Tessa felt and also all the emotions of the people around her such as her family. I really felt Tessa's rebellion, her anger, her complete disregard for own safety at times. I felt her family's fear and hopelessness and their struggle to come to terms with the
knowledge that they are going to lose Tessa. I felt Tessa's acceptance of her
fate and the the urgency of her situation.

It is an intense book, one that will stay with you for a long time after and one that you will never
forget.

Tessa is a teenager who has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.
She only has a matter of months left to live and she has a list of things to do
'before I die'. The first thing on the list is to have sex. There are sexual
references in this book as well as minor crime and some drug use. I would
recommend that teenagers over the age of 16 should read this book due to it's
content. It is a book not only for young adults but for anyone whether you are
16 or 60.

Jenny Downham has created a beautiful book which touches the
reader's heart. It is a real tear jerker and thought provoker and really made me
appreciate the value of life. I made my list of things I want to do before I
die after reading this book and I can say that as a result of this book I have
managed to achieve some of the things I wanted to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment