Tuesday 26 April 2011

Book Review: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

The moment Melinda Sordino starts her first day at Merryweather High, she knows
she is an outcast.
The story starts a few months after something traumatic
happened to Melinda. But what happened to her is not revealed until later on as
the story slowly unfolds.
All we know at first is that she busted an
end-of-summer party by calling the cops and now her old friends won't talk to
her and people she doesn't know glare at her. No one knows why she called the
police, and she can't get out the words to explain. Her parents are too wrapped
up in themselves to notice that something is wrong and her only so-called
friend, Heather, is just with her until she finds someone cool to hang out with.

So Melinda retreats into her head and becomes silent on the outside. But
it's not so comfortable in her head, either - there's something banging around
in there that she doesn't want to think about. But, try as she might, it just
won't go away...

What makes this novel unique is the inner dialogue of
Melinda Sordino. It has been written in the first person narrative from her
point of view. Melinda has a wonderfully sarcastic sense of humour and her
thoughts really made me laugh. She is very opinionated and outspoken but she
keeps these thoughts to herself and utters not one word out loud. She is also
suffering inside and being tortured by a memory that she desperately wants to
forget.

This book is very special to me. This is the only book that I
have found that relates to me in every was possible. In a way I feel as if it
has been written for me!

Melinda Sordino begins to suffer from Selective
Mutism after a traumatic experience. This is a condition that means a person
cannot talk in most social situations and to almost everyone except a handful of
people. Selective Mutism is basically a fear of talking.
I have suffered
from Selective Mutism for as long as I can remember and I found that I could
totally relate to Melinda. I know what it is like to be unable to talk. I too
have an opinionated, outspoken inner dialogue that no one but myself ever hears!

I know what it is like to have no friends, to be isolated and alone and
completely misunderstood. Laurie Halse Anderson has really done a fantastically
amazing job of describing what this is like. I tip my hat to her!

Laurie has also magnificently taken on the extremely upsetting subject of rape and the
subsequent consequences and affects of such as traumatic experience. I too have
had a very bad experience and so I could relate to Melinda. I totally understood
how she was feeling and what it is like to be haunted by a memory that you wish
would disappear.

SPEAK is a phenomenal book. Riveting and
compassionately written, it is emotional and inspirational. It is ultimately as
story of social acceptance and self acceptance with very clear messages to get
across to the reader.
Although it has been written for the young adult
market I personally think that it is a book adults would enjoy as well.
It is cleverly written and without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read.


Thank you Laurie. Words cannot describe how much this book means to
me.

No comments:

Post a Comment