Tuesday 26 April 2011

Book Review: Pride & Prejudice & Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith

Take a Jane Austen classic and mash it up with some zombies and what do you get?
The potential for a damn good book. Unfortunately 'Pride And Prejudice And
Zombies' fell just below the mark.

In all honesty, I could eat alphabetti spaghetti and poop out a better novel than this.

Don't get me wrong, the book is alright, but that's it, it's just alright! And this is a real shame
because this book could have been spectacular, a real twist on a classic, a
fantastic merging of today's thirst for horror with yesterday's
classic.

The writing is Jane Austen's with parts changed or adapted to
fit in the zombies and it's cleverly done. You still the classic 'Pride And
Prejudice' and you still get Jane Austen's style of writing. It's just been
mashed up with a bit of horror. It's not even a bit of horror, it's less than
that it's more like a speck of horror.

The problem I have with the book is that there isn't enough zombie action in it. Where is the blood and guts? I was expecting zombies to start feeding on Mr. Bingley's brains or dragging Mrs.
Bennett off to their zombie lair by her legs. And ok, Charlotte Collins turns
into a zombie and Mr. Darcy and the Bennett sisters are zombie slayers which is
kinda cool, but still, the book could have been better. If you are going to mash
up a classic like 'Pride And Prejudice' with load of zombies you might as well
do it properly.

Darren Shan should have written this book, that dude knows what horror is! I can just imagine how awesome this book would have been had he written it.

So anyway, the zombies in this book are just a bit of
a nuisance really, stopping people from travelling, dragging themselves around
the countryside and affecting other day to day activities. But they don't cause
wisdespread chaos. I was expecting 'I Am Legend' or something and all I got was
a couple of zombies caausing a bit of an inconvenience. The zombies don't
exactly jump out of the page at you and I certainly wouldn't say this book was
scary.

And there are some good chuckles in it which makes the book quite
fun but I wouldn't say it was laugh a minute.

So all in all, 'Pride And Prejudice And Zombies' is ok, it's alright but this book wouldn't be top of the
list on my recommendations. I have read worse books.
I just feel a bit miffed that I was cheated out of some major zombie ass kicking.

No comments:

Post a Comment